Thursday, December 27, 2012

Happy Birthday Amara!!!



We are so happy to announce the birth of our daughter, Amara Meilee!  She was born Saturday, December 22, 2012 at 5:46 pm.  She weighed in at 7 lbs, 1.6 oz. and was 19 inches long.  She will definitely live up to her name-sake (eternal beauty) because she is absolutely gorgeous!!  (I may be a little biased though) 

Her birth was very quick (relatively speaking) and fairly uncomplicated.  I was supposed to go in for the induction at 7:30, but at a quarter to 6 that morning I received a call saying it had been delayed until 11:30.  Not a big deal, I got to sleep a little longer!  So we hung around the house until it was time to go, dropped the boys off at my friend Cathy’s house (Riley was so excited to spend the day with Tanner, Jackson and Ryder that he had his coat and shoes on for 2 full hours before it was time to go!!), and got to the hospital shortly before 11:30.  I was checked in and Pitocin was started around noon, and I knew then it would go fairly quick, I was already dilated to 4 cm.  Once the contractions picked up I was ready for the epidural (which I wanted before they broke my water since I remembered all too well how horrible that was with Riley’s birth) and got that around 3:30.  Then I was able to relax for a little bit to help move things along.  The Doctor came in and broke my water around 4:30, and things moved very quickly after that.  Within minutes of breaking my water I dilated to 8 cm (from 5 before they broke) and I was already feeling the pressure and urge to push.  Not long after that Amara started having troubles.  Her heart rate (previously consistent in the 130’s) kept dropping to the 60’s and 70’s with every contraction.  Diagnosis: she had her cord wrapped around her neck and the pressure was pinching it.  So the doctor had me up on my hands and knees to get her off the cord, and let me tell you, after having an epidural that is no easy feat!!  But it helped, so there I sat with my rear end up in the air while they tried to get me to dilate faster so she could be born.  After she stabilized a little more I was able to lay on my side to deliver.  I started pushing still at 8 cm., to help with dilating, and within minutes I was ready to deliver her.  And yep, her cord was around her neck, but we also discovered that she was holding onto it with her Hand!!  Silly girl!  But she started breathing and pinked up right away, so there were no issues.  She was here!!  We were so happy to have her there with us! 
Proud Papa!
7 lbs 1.6 oz
Official Footprints
Sleeping like a baby!
Not too happy about the first bath

We were able to relax that evening, and Cam went home to get a good night’s sleep while the boys stayed with Cathy.  He then took them the next morning to our neighbor, Lacey’s House for the day.  It was so wonderful to have friends so close to help us out.  We are truly blessed!!  The boys got to come to the hospital later that evening for dinner and to see Amara.  Jayce was instantly intrigued!!  He immediately went over to the bassinet and climbed up on a chair to peer in.  He wanted to see her, touch her, and talk to her immediately! 
Big Brother Jayce
Watching over little sissy
He is so intrigued!

Riley on the other hand, wasn’t so sure.  We had to nearly threaten him just to get him to stand next to the bassinet for a picture!  (Don’t worry he’s starting to come around now – faster than he did when Jayce was born)  He spent most of the time at the hospital coloring, playing on his etch-a-sketch, or eating snacks (all courtesy of his “Big Brother Bag” from Amara!!)  The boys also got T-shirts in their bag that say “Bodyguard for my new Sister”.  Thanks to Pinterest for that idea!! 
The forced picture
This is how he spent the majority of the visit
Playing Etch-a-sketch
New t-shirts
Bodyguard for My New Sister
Big Brother Bag
Mom and the Kiddos
Jayce's first time to hold Amara

We got to go home the next day, Christmas Eve.  And it was so wonderful to be home.  Amara had a cute little “Santa Girl” outfit from Jan to go home in, and even though it was a Newborn Size it was still huge on her tiny little body!   

 That evening was nice and laid back, we didn’t even go to church for our customary Christmas Eve Service.  And same for Christmas Day.  We have spent the last few days just enjoying her and admiring her!  Jayce is still such an involved big brother, wanting to hold her and touch her every chance he gets.  He climbs up the end of the changing table to entertain her while she’s getting changed or dressed, and he loves holding her toys up by her face for her to look at.    Riley is starting to come around, asking more questions and talking about her.  He even wanted to hold her last night (but that may be a jealousy thing since Jayce wanted to hold her), but that lasted all of about 10 seconds and he was ready to give her back!  Lol.   
The "Smile for the Camera"
The REAL reaction

He’ll be great I know, just from afar, whereas Jayce will be the close up helper.  Riley’s always ready to run and grab something for me if I need it: Diapers, burp rag, clothes, even something for Jayce.  He’s my big helper! 

Not much scheduled for the upcoming weeks, Cam has off until at least the New Year, and maybe even the next couple days at short half days – we’ll see!  And we have a few Doctors appointments next week for Amara, all those new baby tests and checkups they do!  The following week Riley starts back to school and G & G Louie come for a visit!  We can’t wait! We’ll do our best to keep you updated with pictures!

No comments: