Thursday, November 04, 2010

Another Scary Night

Well, it just wouldn't be a pregnancy without some sort of pre-term labor issues for me!  Last night Cameron and I spent most of the night in the hospital trying to make sure that Jayce wasn't going to arrive 6 1/2 weeks early.  I started feeling contractions late in the afternoon yesterday, and by 5 o'clock they were coming about 5 minutes apart.  Since we are still working through some insurance logistics I wanted to avoid a trip to the hospital as much as possible - especially since I had just had a Doctors appointment earlier that day and everything was normal!  So I laid down, tried to relax, drank lots of water - but by 6 o'clock they were still 5 minutes apart, and every 3rd or 4th one was coming at 3 1/2 minutes.  So I called the on-call nurse for my Dr.'s office, and she said since I'm still pre-term any having that many contractions it's time to go to the hospital. 

Thankfully, Lacey was generous enough to let Riley have a "last-minute sleepover" with Greg last night!!  We packed a bag for him, pulled dinner out of the oven to sit and wait for us to return and headed out!  By the time I was hooked up to monitors in my room, it was about 7:30 and the contractions were about 2 1/2 -4 minutes apart.  They gave me a shot to stop the contractions about 8 o'clock, but those medications only last for about 30 minutes max.  The nurse told me they would make my heart race, and did they ever!!!  For those thirty minutes I thought I was going insane!!!  My arms wanted to shoot off my body and do a dance all of their own!!  And of course, once they started wearing off I got a horrible headache!  But they did their job, and stopped the contractions.  The Doctor continued to run a couple tests to see the likelihood of me delivering within the next two weeks.  When all those tests came back normal (or negative) they released me from the hospital.  It was about midnight before we were back home in our own bed. 

Riley stayed all night at Greg's house - there was no point in waking him and Greg's parents in the middle of the night.  And I've only had a few contractions today, nothing major to cause concerns.  Cameron was quite the trooper last night!  Staying with me, and trying to sleep in the most akwardly uncomfortable chair I've ever seen, then getting up at 4 am as usual to go to work this morning!!  I really blessed with a great family and group of friends!  So hopefully everything will return to normal and this little guy will stay snug for another couple weeks. 

In happier news!  Riley finished his swim lessons today!!  (yes, we went - but I just lounged in the pool with the jets - I have learned what back labor is, and it's not fun!!! - and the teacher was wonderful to work with Riley so he could finish everything!)  He got a certificate of completion, and had a blast!!  It's so great to see how much he has improved in the last 4 weeks, from being completely terrified and clinging to me like an octopus to laughing and playing and swimming like the rest of the class today!  There were no tears, or even screams today!!  I hope this helps him in the future, and he doesn't regress between now and the next time we get in a pool.  But he's at the age he can start the Pre-school class now, (which is Mommy free) so maybe we'll do that in the spring to keep him conditioned!!  Well, that's all for now!  We have absolutely nothing planned for the next couple weeks except for a few small things (Like a Massage for me - YAY!!!) and a birthday party next weekend.  So things will relax a little around here.  And we are all praying that Jayce stays comfortable until at least Thanksgiving!!  Have a good weekend everyone!

1 comment:

Erin said...

That is scary! Hopefully he can stay in a little bit longer!!