Friday, February 19, 2010

Potty training update

Dare I say we are getting close . . .

A couple days ago Cameron was dressing Riley and Riley told him that he wanted to wear undies. Cameron gave him a very BIG lecture about wearing big boy undies and going potty in the potty, not in the undies! Well it must have worked!! He didn't have an accident the rest of that night! The next day he put him back in the undies in the morning, but we had to take a trip to the grocery store. I didn't want to deal with trying to rush around to find a potty (much less a public big toilet not at all as familiar as his little potty chair at home) or an accident, and I couldn't get him to go before we left, so back into a diaper he went. When we got home I tried to get him to put the undies back on and he wanted nothing to do with it. So that was that.

Then today he decided he wanted to wear big boy undies again, after a little persuasion from Mommy!!! It had snowed yesterday and last night so we went out to play in the snow with some friends and I kept asking him, do you need to go potty? Do you need to go potty? He kept saying no, but after coming inside and warming up with some hot chocolate I thought for sure he would have to go! But he just kept on playing with Greg, and even when Greg went potty he still didn't have to go! So I gave up, certain I would be cleaning up an accident at any moment. Around 11:30 he followed me into the basement to get some things, and while I was looking around he says, "Go Potty . . . Be right back." and went upstairs. It took a second for it to click, and I rushed upstairs just in time to see him pouring the tub from his chair into the big potty!!!! YAY!!!! Riley went pee-pee in the potty - and all by himself!!! And that's the way it went the rest of the day (minus nap-time, we stuck with diapers for that).

Then Daddy came home and after dinner Riley made two trips to the potty back to back. About 30 seconds after the second one, he says "go potty" again and goes upstairs. Cameron and I look at each other as if to say "Again!?" and Cam follows him up. Riley is just sitting there, so Cam comes back downstairs, and when Riley calls him to come back up we find that he went poo-poo in the potty all by himself!!!! I am so proud of him!!! And so happy that this has finally happened (not that I want to jinx it)!! So tomorrow I think we are going to take a trip to get more undies!! And I am so happy to do that!!! I think I'll give it a couple weeks of accident free time before we start pushing for pre-naptime potties, and I'm sure much much longer before we can do the nighttime thing, but this is a step in the right direction, and I couldn't be more proud of my little man!!!

:)

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh the joys of motherhood and the things we celebrate-our children's bowel movements..lol I have never been able to "train" my kids at night/naptime until much later. My pediatrician advised that they can't control what they do while they are sleeping. Charlotte JUST stopped wearing pull-ups to bed and she still wets the bed about once a week. I'm sure you saw my post on fb the other day :-) Oh, and I do remember taking a potty training child out for the "first time" is nerve wracking. But they usually do better than you think they will. Wow! Long comment...anyway good luck!