Thursday, November 06, 2014

Halloween Fun

October was filled with all sorts of Pumpkin fun!  You got to see our trip to the pumpkin patch last time, and painting pumpkins, but Halloween was creeping up on us fast so we had to get those suckers carved! 

Jayce and Amara had a blast!!  Riley was cautious as usual.  Jayce, in usual fearless fashion, stuck his hand in right away to pull out the guts!  Amara wouldn't touch it, but enjoyed sticking her face in the hole.  I'm not sure if she was smelling it, or looking in there, but almost every picture of her is with her face in a pumpkin!  Once again, Mommy and Daddy did all the carving, which is fine.  But we had to convince the older two to pick some designs that are a little easier than their first choices.

Here's some pictures of the process:


Then it was finally Halloween. Riley and Jayce CHOSE!!!  to coordinate their costumes!  It was so Cute!  They went as Mario and Luigi, and I loved it!  We had a little trouble getting Riley's outfit together.  Who knew it was so hard to find size 8 overalls at a Thrift Store!  And I ended up having to paint his hat green (so it's a little stiff.) But they both loved it!  Amara was a Ladybug. I had intentions of making her a 50's girl with a tutu poodle skirt, but when I saw the wings and red tutu deeply discounted at a costume store I quickly changed my mind.  Add some antennae on a headband and we have ourselves a ladybug! 


On the 31st in the morning Old Town does a Trick-or-Treating event with all the downtown businesses. It's just for little kids under 6 (since most older ones are in school anyways.) So I went with some MOPS friends and their kiddos.  It was so cute!  Amara has the begging for candy thing down, so everyone loved her. She was a hoot!  One point she stuck her teeny-tiny hand in the bowl and grabbed at least 10 pieces of candy!! More than I could have grabbed!!  Everyone was laughing at her! Jayce had fun too, although he was in a mood and ended up riding in the wagon with Amara most of the way, and not wearing half his costume by the end. Oh well. It was still fun!


 After that we went to the new Steak n Shake in Greeley - Just 20 Minutes AWAY!!!!  I'm so glad to finally have Milkshakes within a 20 minute drive!!!  Next summer we may be looking for a lot more things to do in greeley!  lol

Other news, Amara is talking up quite a storm now. She will repeat most anything you ask her to say, and is starting to ask for things with words rather than just pointing and grunting. We still have a long way to go, but she's making progress!  Jayce is loving school!  We eat lunch everyday at 11 (because they are starving by then even though they graze for breakfast all morning!!) and IMMEDIATELY after lunch he gets his shoes and backpack on and is ready to go. I have to explain to him (every 3 minutes) that he still has an hour or so until school starts!  So funny.  This week he had to make a scarecrow for some homework. I drew overalls on the person, and he colored it in. Then he glued yellow yarn on the arms, feet and head for straw.  I added the glue for him, but he did the rest. I then tore out a hat from paper (to give it a rougher look) and he glued it on the head. There wasn't really space for it on the paper, but he was determined to give his scarecrow a hat!  I love how artistic he is, and that he loves doing it.  I used to have to bribe Riley to draw/color the smallest paper, but Jayce did this whole scarecrow in one sitting, for like 30 minutes without a single complaint. He kept saying "I have to keep going". lol. He wanted more and more and more!  Speaking of Riley, he's doing really good too. He had some Birthday parties this week, so I took him shopping. We've made the rule that it has to be a game or book to give to our friends, and at first he whined about it. But once he saw that there were books about Minecraft, and games related to things he and his friends like, he had a hard time narrowing it down.  I'm happy to be showing my kids that there is more to life than action figures and race car tracks. Not that those things aren't great - but I'm sure Zack got 5 transformers for his birthday, because that's all they talk about and play with!  Another great thing is Riley's reading level. We had his teacher conference a few weeks ago and he's doing amazing in school. His reading level has really skyrocketed, and he's reading great. We took him to the Book Fair at school and let him pick out a book. I wasn't thrilled that he picked out Captain Underpants, but that was the point to let him pick out a book he was excited about. Needless to say, it worked!!  It is a big chapter book, and he finished it in 2 days!!!  That's almost record time for me!  I remember being like that. I would get the Babysitter Club books in the mail and hide under my covers at night to finish it by flashlight. I loved reading, and I'm so excited to pass that excitement on to Riley!  His writing is still struggling a little bit, but he's so much like Cam (and that's not Cam's forte either) so I'm not concerned that he'll be fine. Just means a little more work at home. He has also dropped off in his math.  Which is a little concerning, but I think it has to do with him being bored in class. He is SO smart at math that he daydreams during the lessons and then misses what he needs to be doing. Once he learns what the lesson is he takes it and runs with it. He typically has his math homework done in literally seconds!!  He's so fast with it.

I'm really proud of all the leaps and bounds my kids have made the past few weeks!!  they are growing up too fast though. Not much else going on until Thanksgiving. Looks like Cam is going to be working that whole weekend again. But we always know that is a possibility.  Have a good week everyone and enjoy the beautiful Fall we are having!  ;)

No comments: