Thursday, November 03, 2011

Look out world!!

Well, Halloween was a great day for us!  Riley let me paint his face, and LOVED it!!  He got so many comments and I think he really liked the attention.  We went trick-or-treating around Old Town in the morning, got a TON of candy and lots of complements. 

Then we stopped at McDonald's for lunch (a REAL treat in our house!), which may have been a bad choice on Mommy's part.  There are a couple of McDonald's in Fort Collins, but instead of going to the one in the middle of town with the playplace (a kid friendly one) I thought it would be easiest to go to the one on the way home, at the intersection of Highway 14 and I-25.  Sounds reasonable right?  Well, We had the time, and it would be easier to go inside to eat rather than go through the drive-through so in we went.  FORGETTING that I had dressed up for Halloween with the boys!  Needless to say the McDonald's at 14 and I-25 doesn't see too many kids (clean floors and tables, not much room for strollers, smaller tables, etc.) mostly truckers, construction workers and farmers from the east side of 25.  At least that's how I saw it when in I walked dressed like a black cat (face paint and ears, and even a tail!) and two equally costumed children and received stares from EVERYONE in the restaurant!!  Ok, maybe the lady behind the counter wearing the devil horns wasn't staring, but everyone else in the very crowded restaurant took a double take at us.  I learned my lesson: If you are going to dress up with the kids, pick a lunch place where there are other moms who understand and appreciate the effort, or at least utilize the drive-up window!! 

Anyways, back to our eventful day!  After the dreaded McDonald's incident, we went home and exhausted Jayce took a nice long nap.  When Jayce is napping I try to have one-on-one time with Riley, and I had some Halloween activities lined up that I wanted to do.  First was Cookies!  I had gotten some cute spooky cookie cutters and so we tried them out!  After making the cookies I wanted to add a few spooky decorations to the front porch for trick-or-treaters.  I found this great bat idea (good ol' Martha!) using clothespins.  So Riley helped me paint the clothespins black, I cut out the bats, and we glued them on.  When they were all dry we hung them outside in our "cob-web fabric".  Riley thought it was SO Spooky! 

By then it was time for dinner.  So we scarfed down our homemade calzones, touched up our make-up and headed out for Trick-or-Treating!  Riley had a blast running from house to house.  But by about halfway through Mommy had to hold the candy bag between houses.  I will admit, he did have a lot of candy!  This kid made out like a bandit! 

Jayce stayed home with Daddy to pass out candy.  He was pretty trick-or-treated out after a full weekend of it.  But he did get his own time to shine that day!  He discovered he can walk!  He had been taking a few onesie twosie steps and falling into the couch to cut corners, but this was the first time he had taken more than just a step.  I was finally able to catch it on video last night! 


He is such a big boy (in a little boy's body!)  He's still wearing 6-9 mo. clothes so it's funny to see this tiny little thing walking!  Well, we are off to Oshkosh for some additional winter clothes!  We got even more snow yesterday, and even more coming on Saturday.  Sounds like we skipped fall this year and went straight to winter!! 

No comments: